Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Clear Lake fun




Sweet daughter, dear son and cute Wrigley visited my beautiful oldest friend in Clear Lake last weekend.

We went to the Art Sail (pun intended). The weather was perfect and it was so fun to look at all of the art, pottery and such in the town square. We also took some time to go through the quaint shops in town.




The kids really enjoyed the lake. Hanging out at the dock was so relaxing and fun.







Our gracious host, the Captain, was very patient in taking the kids tubing and putting up with all of our girl talk.









We tried something new called geocaching. I had heard of it before and when beautiful friend mentioned going, I was game! Have you heard of it or tried it? It is like a scavenger hunt using your GPS and the Geocashing website. The kids made friends with two girls who were "pros" and had the supplies to go on the hunt with us.
First you put in your zip code to figure out where the geocaching sites are. Once you figure out which site you want to find, you write down the coordinates for your GPS.


Here is one of girl's backpack. It has all the essentials, bug spray, first aid kit and so forth.
















Here is the GPS that one of the girls had. It was fun to go through the woods looking for the cache site.




















The mom's wore hats to keep the ticks off, the kids laughed at us but neither of us came away with ticks! Unfortunately, none of us came away with the geocache either. Not sure if someone moved it or what. I think next Fall when the leaves and weeds are down we should try again. It was really fun and a great way to get kids outdoors, I recommend it the next time you hear your kids say "I am bored".






Wrigley enjoyed his first swim!











It was so cute to see him paddling away and to see him soaking wet.














Tubing was the thrill of the day. With dear son's encouragement, I even tried it for a short time. I was a little worried about hurting my back so asked the Captain to go slow and easy. it was fun but about 10 minutes was enough for me.


















Look at the smile on sweet daughter's face!












All fun things have to come to an end (is that really true?). We headed back to Cedar Rapids Sunday afternoon. We sure enjoyed our weekend at the lake. Except for that part with the speeding ticket on the way up Friday night, that was not enjoyable at all.

















3 comments:

jackie said...

Oh what fun!! Enjoyed your pictures!!
Your best friend for life (one of) sure knows how to have fun! And I've learned something new .... geocaching!
Looks like everyone .. including little Wrigley had a great time! Love the swimming pictures .. and the babes on the dock;)

Shelley said...

Sounds like a really fun time....except for the speeding ticket and the hiccup geocaching!

Laura said...

Jealous! Looks like a blast. I LOVE tubing!!