Sunday, July 5, 2009

Gardens and sweaters

The nice looooong weekend gave me some time to enjoy my yard. I found a Japanese maple on sale for 1/2 price at Theisens. I planted it in the corner where my weeping pussy willow had been last year. The pussy willow did not make it so now I am trying something different. I love the look of the Japanese maple. Unfortunately I heard on the radio the day after planting this that the Japanese beetle likes these little trees too. Hopefully I can fight them off this year!




The daises and cone flowers are looking well.






The basil is growing well too and I can't wait to enjoy it with fresh tomatoes soon!
I am giving peas a try this year and I think they are doing well. I am growing beans again this year too. I am trying organic and no pesticides. Not easy but I am trying. Have you all heard about the honey bee population ? They are dying off and disappearing. Some scientist blame the hybrid corn that has built in insecticides. However, there is a lot of debate on this. Obviously we need bees for pollination so I am doing my best to not use insecticides and to help the bees. Remind me of this when the Japanese beetles show up and I want to powder my yard in 7.




Aren't the bloom on these beans pretty!?






I finally finished my sweater!!!! I washed and blocked it this afternoon. I can't wait to see how it turns out. It seemed to really grow when I blocked it. This just might be the first sweater that I will actually wear! Stay tuned for more pictures.




Thanks to all of you who left comments a couple weeks ago! It is nice to know you are out there and reading my blog.








3 comments:

Shelley said...

Oh, your flowers look so nice! And I am so envious of your Japanese Maple find! We lost our Weeping Cherry this year and contemplated putting a Japanese Maple in it's place. I have to so some more research because I don't think it's the best location for it.

The sweater looks gorgeous! You need post a picture of you wearing it! I'll admit I have no idea what blocking is, but it got bigger when you washed it? Who da thunk?

jackie said...

Your garden looks beautiful! I'm going to order some coneflowers ... love them!
Your Japanese Maple will be great there. Good thing you went shopping for me;) And I love your find ..for me.

I agree .. we want a picture of you wearing it! Very pretty!

jackie said...

Your garden looks beautiful! I'm going to order some coneflowers ... love them!
Your Japanese Maple will be great there. Good thing you went shopping for me;)

I agree .. we want a picture of you wearing it! Very pretty!