Sunday, March 24, 2013

T-shirt Quilt Palooza (aka. Spring Retreat)

 My sweet friends Iowa City and Coralville friends and  I enjoyed a fun long weekend on sewing retreat this weekend.  We started with a shopping trip in Galena, followed by a wonderful meal at Vinnie Vanuchi's.
My mission for the weekend was to sew tops for 3 t-shirt quilts.  Nothing fancy, just 12 blocks with sashing.   I've seen some really neat ones with the student's name, jersey numbers, words and so forth in them but I really don't have time to do anything super fancy and I think the seniors really will love them just like I made them.  I stabilized and cut out the t-shirt fronts at home so I would only have to sew at the retreat.
 I started with dear son's quilt, just in case I screwed something up.  I like the way it turned out, here it is without the borders.

It is always a lot of fun to go to Dubuque to the Shalom Retreat Center to sew.  A lot can be accomplished with uninterrupted sewing time and when meals are all provided.

The gal on the right is the one who puts on the retreat, I really appreciate what it must take to organize it twice a year.  The nice lady with her is her aunt.

 Here is my sweet niece's graduation quilt, I love the way the red pops/
 This is the one I made for the neighbor's son and my son's good friend.
Quilt-Palooza!  That makes three tops in three days!

 The gals that attend this retreat are all so nice, it really is a nice relaxing weekend, it was so quiet I actually slept in until 8:30am one morning!

Well, all good things come to an end and we heard about another snowstorm coming through so we packed up a day early to beat the storm.  It is the end of March and we are still getting 3 - 6 inches of snow in Eastern Iowa!

1 comment:

jackie said...

To bad your relaxing retreat had to be shortened!
The quilts look awesome! So sweet of you!
Great fun photos!