Saturday, January 1, 2011

Fiber fun and the parrot resort



Iowa City girls and I took a trip to where the black top ends to pick up some processed fleece.

We went to High Prairie Fiber and really enjoyed our visit with Abi and learning all about how she processes fiber.









This is what a washed fleece looks like when she starts.

She runs it through 2 machines and it turns out into beautiful roving that can then be spun into yarn.





Here are the machines she uses. Her operation is in a straw building which is covered with plaster and it is heated with a corn using a corn furnace.







Abi's husband runs the Iowa Parrot rescue
When we first pulled up I thought the sign said Iowa Parrot Resort! Actually it is like a resort for the birds, it was an amazing operation. He had something like 80 birds. Some of which came from drug dealers, it was sad to hear about the birds that were exposed to drugs.









































The van was full of fleece, more than 3 bags full!
It was a delightful day and I can not wait to go back and visit again. It sounds like there may be some dyeing in the future trip!












Wow, look at all of the spinning we can work on this winter!





3 comments:

Shelley said...

What a set-up! Looks like a lot of fun...again. The bags in the van cracked me up! I'm going to share this with a few other friends!

jackie said...

Love the bags ... to the top!
The birds rescue is an amazing story.
What fun!

Holly said...

I love it! If you go again, I would love to go along with you.