Sunday, August 15, 2010

Spinning silk


I spent the most wonderful day in the country with one of my most favorite persons (IC girlfriend) and a bunch of gals from the Cedar Rapids Fiber Arts Guild. I joined the guild last year as a very beginning spinner. Due to kid's activities I have not been able to go to meetings much but I had to make time for this workshop. In fact it was so important that I missed my 30 year class reunion (yes , I am that old, whatever!) The workshop was held in a farmhouse in Lone Tree Iowa, which is south of Iowa City. It was a beautiful home that rambled with room and interest. The gardens were interesting too, even a dry creek (I think that is what is called, for rain runoff management).
The workshop was on how to dye and spin silk hankies.
Silk hankies come in a square stack of what looks like very delicate fabric. After they are dyed you pull the apart very gently and then stick your hand in the middle pull it apart and wow, you have roving!!!
We started our day in the house and learned about silk hankies and dyeing, then went to the barn to get busy with dye.









here is my hanky without dye.









while we waited for our hankies to process, we spun.
Do you see that big wheel in the back of the room? I spun on that! wow, was it wild.















Here is a pre-dyed hanky that I spun while waiting. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be, however, I am still getting thick and thin yarn.






















Here is my hanky as it is drying today
Wow, what an education I received in just one short day! I am really getting into this new hobby of spinning!