Sunday, September 30, 2012

It slices, it dices, it julienne's ....


I recreated Sweet Ankeny Girl's apple and fennel salad today.   I fell in love with it when I was at her house with Awesome Iowa City girl last June for the Iowa Sheep and Wool fest.  I bought a mandolin while at Door County (same group of bandits) and tried it out today. 

I kind of guessed at how to make it.  For my apple salad I sliced 1 granny smith, 1 fennel bulb and tossed with a vinaigrette of 1 squeezed lemon and about 1/8 cup of olive oil with salt and pepper.  It turned out delish!

I found some cute jars at Target.  I was all pumped up to paint them with chalk board paint and red tops.  Well it was a fail.  The chalkboard paint just peeled off.  The red spray paint was pretty but it bubbled so I am not thrilled with the outcome.  Next time I will just find metal paint and hand paint the tops.
 
In the jars I made home-made hot cocoa and home-made pumpkin granola.
 
The hot cocoa recipe is simple, It comes from Round the Twist podcaster.  I  used low fat and low sugar, where ever possible, it turned out creamy and delicious
 
8 quart box of powdered milk
1 lb. container of Nestle Quik
5 oz. powdered coffee creamer
1 cup powdered sugar
Mix everything together in a big bowl. You can sift the ingredients if you want everything to be powder-fine, but it’s not necessary.
To use: Fill a mug 1/2 to 2/3 full of the mix. Add hot water, stir, and enjoy!
 

Everything I made can be found on the Internet and I tweaked a little to fit my tastes.


Here is my granola tweak:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/09/easy-pumpkin-spiced-granola.html#more
I substituted honey for maple syrup and chia seeds for flaxseed.



1 comment:

jackie said...

I love it when you share your recipes ;)